New Contemporaries is again delighted to offer a studio bursary in partnership with Sarabande: The Lee Alexander McQueen Foundation, London from May 2018 - April 2019 following last year’s recipient Saelia Aparicio Torinos.
The foundation was set up by founder Lee Alexander McQueen in 2007 and named after his show ‘Sarabande’ the same year. McQueen’s legacy is providing support through funding and subsidised studios housed in a beautiful converted stable block in the heart of East London. The genesis of all McQueen’s achievements was his open-minded approach to absorbing diverse creative influences and applying them in new and exciting ways. It is that openness and bravery that Sarabande seeks to inspire in future generations of creatives.
Sarabande studios is a creative hub with a strong sense of community, it is a safe environment for artistic experimentation and collaboration, with artists and designers across different disciplines coming together.
The opportunity to apply for a free studio is open to all Bloomberg New Contemporaries Alumni from 2017. The bursary holder will receive benefits provided by Sarabande Foundation as part of the residence, such as access to workshops, events, and use of the building for free. The studio is approx. 11m2. Where possible Sarabande will aim to facilitate bespoke mentoring for the successful applicant.
To be considered please read the application requirements and criteria below:Bursary dates
: May 2018- April 2019Criteria
• You must have exhibited as part of Bloomberg New Contemporaries 2017.
• The bursary is for studio space only and does not cover any living costs.
• You must agree to produce a minimum of 4 blogs for our website over the year describing your experience of having the space.
• Any other possible digital content will be discussed and agreed with New Contemporaries and Sarabande. • The opportunity also includes the option of the residency culminating in a public output of your year’s work.
• Shortlisted applicants will be called to interview.Application Requirements
To apply please submit one PDF document set in 11 point font containing the information below presented in the following order:
1. Artists CV containing contact details. No more than 1 page of A4.
2. Short statement of no more than 300 words about your work.
3. Summary of no more than 300 words explaining how the opportunity will benefit your practice. For artists applying that are not currently based in London, it would be useful to understand how you are going to support yourself, as living expenses are not included in the bursary.
4. A maximum of 5 images of your work. Including title, year of completion and medium of work. Please note that these works must have been completed within the last 2 years. We are unable to view moving image work as part of this application process, but you are more than welcome to include stills.
Send PDF application to firstname.lastname@example.org
by no later than 10:00am Monday April 16th, 2018.
Please number the pages and put your name on each page. Please entitle your PDF document in the following way: FirsnameLastname_SARABANDEStudio2018
Regrettably only applications submitted in the format above will be considered. We will let you know if you have been successful by end of April 2018. Regrettably, we are unable to offer feedback on unsuccessful applications.