Studio Bursary Opportunity with Elephant
5 November 2019
New Contemporaries is delighted to be offering a month long studio bursary in partnership with Elephant from February 2020 to March 2020. The opportunity is mainly but not exclusively for artists who use paint as their primary medium in their practice.
The opportunity to apply for a free studio at Elephant Lab is open to all Bloomberg New Contemporaries Alumni from the last 5 years (2015 to 2019 inclusive).
About Elephant Lab
Elephant believes that visual thinking triggers societal thinking. In the spirit of this belief, we have established Elephant Lab; a space to foster creativity and feed curiosity. We encourage experimentation and collaboration, bringing artists together with scientists to investigate the correlation between life and art.
Elephant Lab offers artists time, space, materials and access to specialised knowledge. Housed in a large (34m²), well-lit and fully equipped artists’ studio, Elephant Lab is located next to the Innovation & Development laboratory of Winsor & Newton, Liquitex and Conté à Paris at the Studio Building in West London, close to the new home of Elephant West. Here is an environment where artists can investigate and innovate with materials offered by the fine art brands, supported with specialist technical knowledge from the chemists in the I&D laboratory and art professionals on the Elephant team.
Benefits of the studio include:
To be considered please read the application requirements and criteria below.
Studio Bursary dates:
February 2020 to March 2020.
To apply please submit one PDF document set in 11 point font containing the information below, presented in the following order:
1. Artists CV containing contact details. No more than 1 page of A4.
2. Short statement of no more than 300 words about your work.
3. Summary of no more than 300 words explaining how the opportunity will benefit your practice.
4. Short proposal of no more than 300 words describing how you plan to use the studio. For artists applying that are not currently based in London, it would be useful to understand how you are going to support yourself, as living expenses are not included in the bursary.
All proposals should have one or more of the following attributes:
5. Which year you exhibited in Bloomberg New Contemporaries (2015 – 2019)
6. A maximum of 5 images of your work. Including title, year of completion and medium of work. Please note that these works must have been completed within the last 2 years. We are unable to view moving image work as part of this application process, but you are more than welcome to include stills.
Send a PDF application to
email@example.com by no later than 10am 2nd December. Please number the pages and put your name on each page. Please title your PDF document in the following way: FirstnameLastname_ElephantStudio2020
Regrettably only applications submitted in the format above will be considered. We will let you know if you have been successful by early December 2019. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer feedback on unsuccessful applications.