We are delighted to announce that applications are now open for our third, funded Digital Residency. This opportunity is open to NC alumni (2016-20) who identify as Black, Asian or ethnically diverse. The residency will take place for two months in Spring 2021.
Providing space along with curatorial and financial support, we invite artists to explore ideas, develop their research and create new works to share with audiences through our online channels. Applicants are invited to propose a project, highlighting how the residency will benefit their practice. The digital residency extends our programme of studio residencies, and the development of our newly created digital platform and other online programmes.
The 2021 digital residency follows after the success of our two pilot Digital Residencies in 2020 (with Rodrigo Red Sandoval & Clara Hastrup and Marijn Ottenhof).
Monday 26 April (10am)
- Residency period: 8 weeks in Spring 2021 to be agreed on recipiency.
- £1,000 research and development bursary.
- We will also work with you to identify learning or mentoring, for which there is a budget.
- New Contemporaries team will arrange two online studio visits to take place during the residency. We will work with the selected artist to provide curatorial support for the development of their work, and establish how we can best accommodate your plans.
- Work may be shared, embedded or disseminated for public engagement using:
- A designated residency page on our website, which can host text and images, and embed AV files
- Our social media channels (Instagram, Twitter and Facebook)
- Our YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud channels
- You may also consider hosting or recording an online event
- This opportunity is open to NC alumni (2016-20) who identify as Black, Asian or ethnically diverse.
- Residency or work-in-progress updates should be shared on New Contemporaries social media channels, if these platforms are not already part of your proposal.
- If artists are part of a collective, the bursary of £1,000 will be shared among participants. At least one of the collective should have been selected for New Contemporaries and eligible as above.
To apply please fill out the equal opportunities form and this Application Form in 11-point font containing the information below:
- Name and year you were part of New Contemporaries.
- Artist CV containing contact details. No more than 1 page of A4.
- Short statement about your work. No more than 300 words.
- Summary outlining how you will use the residency, identifying what professional mentoring or learning you will undertake, and who that mentor could be. No more than 300 words.
- A maximum of 5 examples of your work as images, videos or sound links. Including title, year of completion and medium of work. Please note that these works must have been completed within the last 2 years.
You must save your application form as a PDF document titled in the following way: FirstnameLastname_NCDigitalResidency2021
Please send your PDF application and Equal Opportunities Form form to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 10:00am on Monday 26th April 2021.
If you would like to apply by video or audio application, please contact email@example.com ahead of the deadline.
Regrettably, only applications submitted in the format above will be considered.
We will let you know if you have been successful by the beginning of May. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to give individual feedback due to limited resources.