New Contemporaries 2021 is open to individual artists or collaborative groups* who meet one of the following criteria:
- Undergraduate in the final year of a degree in fine art** at a UK college†
- Postgraduate (MA, MFA, PhD etc.,) enrolled on a degree in fine art** at a UK college†
- Those who graduated from either an Undergraduate or Postgraduate (MA, MFA, PhD etc.,) degree in fine art** at a UK college†, in the '2019-2020' academic year
- Current participants on an alternative learning programme‡
- Those who completed an alternative programme‡ within the last 12 months.
* Collaborative applications are eligible providing at least one member of the group meets the criteria above.
** Those studying or having graduated from applied arts/design courses are not eligible.
† 'College' here refers to Higher Education institutions offering recognised degree qualifications at undergraduate or postgraduate level. Students enrolled in Foundation Diploma courses are not eligible.
‡ ‘Alternative learning programme’ refers to programmes, that operate broadly as alternatives to BA or MA study. These programmes must have been established before 2018 and offer artists an opportunity to develop their practice in an environment outside of a ‘college’ as defined above.
Only the following programmes are currently included: AltMFA, The Collective Studio, Constellations, Essential School of Painting, EBC Night School, Evening Class, Into the Wild, Intoart, Islington Mill Academy, Newlyn Art School, Open School East, Royal Drawing School, School for Civic Imagination, School of the Damned, The Syllabus, TOMA, Turps Art School and Warehouse Alternative Art School.
Download the full Submission Guidelines here:
New Contemporaries 2021 Submission Guidelines